Pure Caribbean Beauty Is Found On a Barbados Vacation
Barbados is a Caribbean island in the Atlantic Ocean known for its lush beaches and turquoise water. If you choose to visit the east coast of the island, you will find surf-worthy waves, and on the west coast, you will find tranquil waters. Barbados has one international airport, and because the weather is always gorgeous, any time is a great time to visit. Keep in mind, however, that peak tourist season is December through January, and hurricane season is from June to November. Barbados is rarely affected and you will save money by booking your trip during this time. While there, the best way to get around is by bus or taxi.
The Must See Sights and Activities
There’s plenty of beautiful Caribbean sights to see when you’re exploring Barbados. Some items include:
- Take a Tour of the Island - There are a variety of tours you can take to get better acquainted with the island. There are full day tours that take you to such landmarks as Bathsheba Beach and Harrison's Cave. There are coast to coast tours that allow you to visit the must see locations throughout the entire island. There are tours that highlight wildlife, shipwrecks and submarines, and those that allow you to engage in activities like kayaking and snorkeling. No matter what your interests, you will be able to find an island tour that suits you.
- Carlisle Bay - Known for its gorgeous beach and calm and clear waters, it is also known for its glass bottom boat tours that allow you to snorkel and swim with the turtles. In addition to this, there are opportunities to explore shipwrecked vessels below the sea. Many visitors say that Carlisle Bay has the best beach to take a walk on the entire island.
- St. Nicholas Abbey - This is a historic plantation house, but it is also a rum distillery and a museum. Built in 1658, St. Nicholas Abbey is one of three authentic Jacobean mansions in the western world. Visitors can purchase tickets to tour the house, the steam mill, and the distillery. You will also be able to explore the grounds by taking a train ride on the St. Nicholas Abbey Railway, where you will be accompanied by an expert tour guide.
- Oistins Fish Fry - This should definitely be on your itinerary if you are in Barbados on a Friday night. It is the perfect opportunity to interact with local residents, enjoy live music, and eat delicious cuisine. The atmosphere is welcoming and festive, and you are certain to feel like you are experiencing a celebration.
- Visit the Animal Flower Cave - Head north to St. Lucy for a visit to the Animal Flower Cave, the only sea cave on the island that visitors are able to access. You will be able to explore the cave and take in a breathtaking view of the Atlantic Ocean from an underground vantage point. The coral steps that take you below are beautiful, but be careful, because they are also steep!
There’s a lot of different options as to where you want to stay. There’s large all inclusive super resorts and wonderful boutique locations. Some great options include:
- Yellow Bird Hotel - This lovely boutique hotel is known for its enticing rooms that were recently renovated, its picturesque view of St. Lawrence Bay, and its amazing staff. Guests can enjoy breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the hotel’s On the Bay restaurant, where they use herbs grown in their on-site garden. The Yellow Bird Hotel has earned the designation as being in the top 1% of hotels worldwide, and amenities include free WiFi, a fitness center, and currency exchange services.
- Waves Hotel & Spa by Elegant Hotels - This all-inclusive hotel is located on the Platinum West Coast of the island. At Waves Hotel, there is a focus on wellness and services that are eco-friendly, and they aim to provide you with the most relaxing of experiences. Amenities include complimentary water sports, free WiFi, a fitness center, and a complimentary water taxi service.
- South Gap Hotel - Located in vibrant St. Lawrence Gap, the South Gap hotel is a beautiful boutique hotel that recently underwent renovations. Guests will find that they are in walking distance of the local restaurants and entertainment venues. Dover Beach is also nearby, which provides the perfect backdrop for a relaxing experience. Amenities include free WiFi, laundry services, and a currency exchange service.