St. Kitts & Nevis May Be the Perfect Caribbean Vacation Destination
St. Kitts & Nevis, the only commonwealth country in the West Indies, is 2,513 miles from the United States. The population in St. Kitts & Nevis is roughly 53,000 residents. It averages in the mid-to-upper 70s in temperature all months of the year. This makes it a perfect place for a tropical destination.
The economy in St. Kitts & Nevis is driven by agriculture, light manufacturing, and mainly tourism, which has been rapidly expanding since the 1970s. Outside of citizens of the Organization of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS), travelers will need to have a valid passport to enter St. Kitts & Nevis. Interestingly, proof of a return or onward voyage or sufficient funds may also be a requirement for admittance here.
Non-stop flights here come from the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada, in addition to a number of regional commuter flights within the Caribbean. The accepted form of currency here is the Eastern Caribbean Dollar (XCD), where $1 US is roughly equal to about $2.70 E.C. They accept U.S. paper money (but no U.S. coins) at most stores and businesses, with change being given in E.C. currency.
The Must See Sights and Attractions
When here, there are some must see sights and activities. No one wants to miss some of the incredible splendor of St. Kitts you can see at these locations:
- St. Kitts Adventure Tour - Take a 90-minute excursion in an open-air safari truck as you traverse from Port Zante Terminal to Cockleshell Beach. You can swim on this tour as you admire gorgeous views of the Caribbean from the beach. Drinks are available at the beach, and on the safari truck during the trip.
- Volcano Caldera Trek (Mt. Liamuiga) - Starting at 750 ft. above the Caribbean Sea, hikers get the chance to hike each tier of the volcanic cone. Witness tropical succession stage changes as you ascend towards the caldera. Ultimately, you'll be 600 ft. above the bottom of the volcano crater and 2880 ft. above the Caribbean Sea, a rare photo opportunity of all the glorious beauty around you.
- St. Kitts Shore Excursion: Nevis Beach Getaway - A high-speed catamaran transfers you from St. Kitts cruise port to Pinney's Beach, a beautiful stretch of miles of white sand along the island's northwest coast. When here, take up to four hours to sunbathe, swim, relax, and take pictures on the beach.
- St. Kitts Rainforest Tour - A professional guide will provide commentary on flora, fauna, and the local environment as you take a 4-hour stroll on the grounds of Wingate Estate through the tropical forest. On this tour from St. Kitts in an open-air safari truck, remember to bring your swimwear, as taking a cool dip in a nearby river during the trip is a popular activity. A walking stick, refreshments, and water are provided to the guests during the journey.
- Sunny Blue Rentals in St. Kitts for ATV and Dune Buggy Combo Tours - Head out into areas not explored by regular tours out on an ATV or dune buggy. Tours take passengers riding 400cc ATVs (single rider) or 4-seater 1000cc dune buggies (family) to make such stops at places like Black Rocks, navigating through mountainous terrain. Tour guides are native professionals who will answer any question you may have. Feel free to bring along a few things for the tour, as each ATV comes with a storage compartment under the seat. Other nice features on these vehicles include cup holders and a charging socket for a cell phone.
There are some very fine resorts and hotels on St. Kitts & Nevis. When looking for accommodations here, check out:
- Park Hyatt St. Kitts Christophe Harbour - This grand resort is in a secluded area overlooking The Narrows, the strait that separates St. Kitts and Nevis. All chic suites face toward the beach and the sea. This resort has private, premium suites with individual plunge or swimming pools, as well as private sundecks. This resort has two swimming pools, a nine-room spa, and three restaurants.
- Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies - This resort is on its own unspoiled island, with property amenities that include a pool, free high-speed internet (WiFi), bar/lounge, fitness center with gym/workout room, beach, diving, and babysitting. Room types here include suites, ocean view, family rooms, and non-smoking rooms. Room amenities include air conditioning, private beach, private balcony, minibar, flatscreen TV, refrigerator, and room service.